Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Adventures in Managed Computing

Over the last month we've been working on deploying over 700 new workstations and laptops.  This time around, I was able to get support from the upper administration to make them fully managed.  I was also able to convince them that we needed to pay for installation. After a few months of negotiating with Apple and my local var we were able to settling on an SOW for the project.

The VAR would:

  1. Install the management and imaging software on a brand new server.
  2. Install and configure the pile of servers that I had in my office.
  3. Image, deliver and deploy the new computers.
  4. Ensure that the computers were integrated into the management system and our online tracking system.
We chose to use Casper for JamfSoftware to manage the computers.  Casper has a pretty good reputation in the community and we decided to give it a whirl. After this is settled, we'll begin a SCCM deployment for the PC side of the house.

I'll post about my experiences with Casper in a later post.

That is all for now.  Later.

No comments: