Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Cleaning up the network monitoring

Last week I had the pleasure/honor of being able to attend the Penn State Mac Admins Conference. But, before i get to implementing what I learned there are a free things that I need to clean up.  One of the issues that I was having prior to leaving was figuring out why our servers weren't recovering properly from power outages. (Before anybody starts screaming "you should have a UPS!", we have them but you can only maintain power for so long). We tend to have seasonal power outages and brown outs at this time of year as well as people being helpful and unplugging the server racks. While things usually recover nicely, we've been having some timing issues. The servers are coming back up before the network. And since they don't have the network available, DNS and DHCP epithet don't or sort of start up. I need to come up d with a way of monitoring this with my current console. I've been using Opsview core for a couple of years to do general system monitoring. It's based on Nagios and had a semi useful web interface, so I can pretty much bend it to my will.

No comments: